A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Vibes At Disneyland

Only those in wheelchairs and electric carts understand this blog. Whenever I was there with my children, we ran from ride to ride. It was always October when we visited, and with few exceptions, the number of people in the park was minimal on those days. There was no wait at any ride, and we ran from ride to ride.

It was like our family felt we had to get "our money's worth" out of each visit. Sometimes when we are there even now, that attitude resurfaces with me, but then I take a reality check.

First I can't move like that at all, and unless my electric cart operates well, there is no way that we go quickly. Even then, there are no few days in the park that aren't crowded, but even when no one is there, I find myself looking at the visit differently.

I watched this man in a wheelchair. I was in my cart. A worker stood next to me, and suddenly, the worker spoke.

"You know it's interesting. The man there in that wheelchair arrives each morning, watches families arrive together, sits for a few hours in the sun, and then he goes home."

First, I thought it was strange, but then I realized that every time I arrived, I had this rush of memories as we went down Main Street, and I realized I was the same way. I too could sit on Main Street, listen to the music, and watch families walk hand in hand down toward the center of the park.

It's an incredible feeling there.

The nice part about having a chance to go more than one day is this important fact--you don't regret coming, you don't regret going home, yet you look forward to the next trip to Disneyland. At least that's the way it is for me.

If you are not lucky enough to have a change of heart, where you actually begin to love the crowds and enjoy the park experience, you will when you have grandchildren.

The times I've spent there with grandchildren has been wonderful.

There is not a trip that doesn't offer great memories: Tommy's addiction to a warm churro, Jack's knocking on the door of the little door near the exit of the Alice In Wonderland ride, Anna's continual skip and hysterical laugh while we have fun together.

It's all part of the Disney experience.

Each visit there with grandchildren yields new memories, and soon, we'll be there with our newest addition: Sammy.

No comments: