A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Joining the Ranks of Old Coots

Without a doubt, a person looks at things differently after age 55--especially when things are at a point when you just can't move as quickly as you once did. Life is frustrating enough.

I knew I was old when people began began calling me "hon," which is something I complain incessantly about. Recently a clerk at a register at Home Depot set a world record by calling me that six times in less than four minutes at checkout.

It was the one time I didn't say anything, because I was so pi$$ed, and I had been the entire day any way, so I figured why ruin a beautiful summer day for everyone, but my Annie, however, enjoyed the moment.

She left my side, walked a few yards away, and turned her back to me. She held her hand over her mouth, and I could tell she was laughing. It was one of those moments people try to retell, and when everyone in the room sits with uncomfortable looks on their faces, you rely on the classic cliche: "Well, I guess you had to be there."

No comments: