A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Adventures We Had With Pooh and Friends


One memory of Anna is something I will never forget. We were there when she began talking for the first time, and some things she said were like child metaphors.

A speaking child over the age of four or five would say things differently, but Anna's communication worked, and besides, it was hilarious--not only from the standpoint of how family understood her completely but also from the shock and horror on faces of tourists who overheard her.

This was her favorite ride, and when we were close to it, or if we asked everyone what they wanted to do, she would answer in her little voice. Her eyes would flash with excitement.

"I wanna go Pooh," she'd say.

People would turn immediately, some jerked their heads like a hoot owl, and then they walked quickly to a safe zone. I figure they must not have children, because even if Anna had meant it in the way they interpreted the ambiguous statement, the diaper would have protected them.

And besides, I've seen adults who smelled much worse than any of my grandchildren in any kind of circumstance.

But their reaction was funny, something I will never forget. It is one of the things I'll always remember about Anna, although there are many fun moments that I think of with all of my grandchildren--Tommy's passion for trains, Jack's enthusiasm for Star Wars Toys at Burger King, Anna's ballerina moves, and Sammy's growls.

When you're a grandparent, remembering fun things like this is what you do.

No comments: