We hadn't planned on going to the show. It was expensive, and I thought it would be too much for grandsons too young to appreciate it.
They decided they had to see the show the next day. Then we went to the river. Aunt Connie arrived in Idaho Falls, and we immediately decided to go to a restaurant near the falls.



It was a mistake, because the jets flew very close to the ground by the river, and the engines roared as they dived and did maneuvers in the sky overhead.
The decided they didn't want to go.
Meanwhile, I had been looking forward to seeing a Russian MIG, a P-51's and some other World War II era fighters.
I rethought it when I saw how frightened both boys seemed to be.
Each time they flew overhead, both boys eventually would not even look into the sky.
It was spectacular to see them, and after reading what happened with concessions and lines at the airport, I figure the boys and I saw the best part of the show, but we didn't see any prop planes, and we didn't see a MIG.
There's always another time for that. And in the meantime, I plan to find a show that features the planes I want to see.
But what is saw was well worth seeing. It was a great way to spend a hot summer afternoon while sitting at the river on a park bench.
It gave me a new understanding of why a former student of mine always wanted to fly jets; however, that doesn't mean I'm not going to worry about his statement that he will be "called up," if the "little thing" in Afghanistan isn't over by next year.
It's not that I'm not patriotic. I just hate seeing these students I taught in the line of fire.
I hated it when my son was in the army too, although I'm very proud of his service and the honorable way he served to keep our country and other soldiers safe.




No comments:
Post a Comment