And yes, the chair Anna sits in for this picture has a bit of pink in it too.
Anna told grandma what a pretty house she had. I know my mom enjoyed watching our little princess and listening how much she had changed since the last visit.
Her little conversations are fun.
Grandma was an instant hit before our little princess noticed the aroma of cookies coming from the basement. Grandma made chocolate drop cookies, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip and apple sauce, and yes the apple sauce had chocolate chips too.
And to put the cherry on the top of the day, my mom made us a fresh loaf of bread too.
Anna does not go to people quickly, but she recognized a soul mate in Great Grandma Ward. With a pink bathroom and an ability to work magic with chocolate, Great Grandma Ward was a hit with Anna.
Anna is my mom's first granddaughter.
And where would a day in Malad be without a trip to the Malad Drive-In. The boys and Lydia show off the T-shirts we found there, although the boys might be in college before they fit well.
The sign looks different than it did in 1955, but the food is still the same. The boys and Anna feasted on grilled cheese sandwiches and tater tots.
I did not notice until the end of the meal that I forgot to order Jack his lemonade. But his grin was twice as big as usual when I finally remembered, ordered it at the counter and placed it in front of him.
After all these years, the menu has not changed much. They still have the Glamour Burger, and their milk shakes are still the best in the area when it comes to anything you can find at a fast food place. Personally, I find all of there food better than anything I find anywhere else.
I did not notice until the end of the meal that I forgot to order Jack his lemonade. But his grin was twice as big as usual when I finally remembered, ordered it at the counter and placed it in front of him.
After all these years, the menu has not changed much. They still have the Glamour Burger, and their milk shakes are still the best in the area when it comes to anything you can find at a fast food place. Personally, I find all of there food better than anything I find anywhere else.
Without a doubt, the Malad Drive-In brings back memories. It is where my classmates and I "hung out" whenever there was time to cruise in our parents' cars, and it is where we stopped to talk and enjoy a summer afternoon with friends.
Every time I go to the Drive-In, I tell my children and grandchildren about the trips I made there with my Springer Spaniel to get me a shake and him a Frosty. I would let him lick at the cone before putting it in a little plate I had for him in the back of my Model A Ford pickup.
And I always show my children and grandchildren where I parked my car under the shade of the same large tree that is still there. It is where I always parked my car. If someone was there, I drove through town until the place was free.
It will always upset me that the town voted for Steve Symms instead of John V. in his final election when he ran for the U.S. Senate. As much as John V. did for the town of Malad, he deserved much more than that. But that is ho things go sometimes in small towns.
Here is one more picture of us at grandma's with me hugging my grandsons. It is great that all three still enjoy hugs. That will change too soon.




No comments:
Post a Comment