The year that Lydia and Jeff married, they set a date for their reception in San Diego. We were the unfortunate owners of one of those sink whole investments called a time share condo, but that year it worked well for us. We reserved a week in Ramona, a small town in the hills above San Diego during the time we would need to be there.Our kids changed the date, but Ann and I never flinched or hesitated. As I remember, some were worried we might be upset because of the reservation we couldn't change. We were not.
The week we were there in November, we stayed in a hotel and enjoyed the beautiful weather and the fantastic seafood restaurants near the site of the reception.
Ann and I drove to San Diego and stayed for a week in the condo for the entire week we reserved it. It was the greatest. The weather was 85 degrees, although it cooled a bit at night.
Every day we went to Disneyland, and we watched people walking about in winter coats. Ann and I were in long shorts and sandals without socks. Since we were some of the only Idaho residents who could really appreciate those temperatures, we did not mind the strange looks, and we even occasionally laughed at people wearing thick winter coats in such beautiful weather. It was like Idaho weather in mid September. Even at night there was no chill in the air.
Ann took the picture of the mailboxes on one of our last days there. It remains one of my favorites. It is one of those "artsy" things, and besides, it brings back incredible memories.
We drove home and smiled the entire way until we reached Cedar City. The snow started. We found our coats, and by the time we arrived in Idaho Falls, we discovered some of the coldest weather in a long time. It was -25 degrees for at least a week. I have never been able to take the weather since . To experience a change in temperature of over one hundred degrees in one day is too much to take.
And as for snow--even on Christmas Eve--I have but two words, Bah Humbug!




No comments:
Post a Comment