And there were other things as well:
quality entertainment, with Jack on trumpet--a favorite decoration from the tree--Tommy on piano; (And when that wasn't enough fun, there was always the Surfing Santa that did a "jig" to a Beach Boys song.)
a lot of toys, with Tommy excited about his new Thomas the Train additions and a Caterpillar dump truck, bulldozer and loader; (There were other gifts I can't even remember having them open.)
and toys, with Jack discovering his bike helmet and new bike, and Tommy finding his train table;
and did I say toys, with Jack getting help from grandma with that bike helmet, Anna mystified by it all, and Tommy still playing with his trains: (Kristin took pictures of all the fun.)
And there was Anna.
I think this was her first Christmas. But most importantly, it was the Christmas when all my children and grandchildren were home--the thing that makes the holidays so much fun.
The tradition of having a big Christmas started with my father. He always talked about sacrifices his parents made to see the magic of Christmas. Dad did it for me and my sisters, and I tried to do it for all of mine. It isn't about materialism. It is about what is most important in my sweet heart's life and my life right now: our children and grandchildren.
There is nothing like Christmas. But the memories are fantastic too.









No comments:
Post a Comment