A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Nap Time For Jack and Pop Pop

This picture brings back memories. I would tell Jack a story every day before his nap and at night before he went to sleep, and sometimes he would request an additional one. I would play "tickle tickle" on his arm, a trick my grandmother not only used on me as a child but also used it to help my sisters fall asleep.

This picture is priceless, because sleeping with our arms over our head is how I remember my father sleeping, especially after a day like Thanksgiving.

Ann and I made a mistake with our first grandchild. You never think about it really. When he had trouble sleeping, we would have him between us with pillows on either side so we would give him enough space, and then he gradually grew.

When he was a year old, I suddenly noticed he didn't like my snoring, or at least I think that's what the problem was. In the middle of the night, Jack would raise both legs toward the ceiling, and then he'd bounce his heels off my stomach. I would awaken with a start, my throat dry from snoring. He'd do this at least twice during the night.

When I told my uncle about that story, he laughed first, and then he said, "Oh, you didn't!" He smiled and then explained how little ones never want to sleep alone after that. We paid that price, and only this year, now that Jack not only forced grandma out of our king size bed and pushed me out as well, did we finally get another option. I have an inflatable air mattress in the grandchild toy room, which once was a bedroom. And when all else fails, he sleeps downstairs, because his heels never seemed to get any softer. But at least he stopped kicking me when I snore.

No comments: