A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Monticello

Monticello was a place I always wanted to visit, and until I went to see my son graduate from UNC Chapel Hill, it never happened. I rode with Cles and our daughter-in-law Leslie to Charlottesville and enjoyed every minute of it.

It was in December. The temperature was nice, just shirtsleeve weather. We spent several hours there, and then drove home. My only regret was not having my Annie there.

The chance came this summer finally to travel to Virginia again. My son Cles and Leslie live a short distance away, and I looked forward to the trip, but due to Ann's part-time work schedule, she couldn't make it. Kristin and Jack traveled with me, and it was an incredible time.

To see Monticello again was incredible. But on another visit, I plan to try to hear the Chinese gong, which chimes once every hour on the hour, but because of the age of the clock, it is no longer loud.

According to Charles Kuralt, when he did the Sunday Morning Show on CBS all those years ago, those who worked the fields could hear the gong below the hill where Jefferson's mansion appears. Not it's just a quiet "ding," which if you don't listen carefully for it, you miss it.

When Ann and I go back again together, we will hopefully be there at a time when it isn't busy, and we'll listen for it. The tour has been incredible both times. It was fun to watch Jack absorb everything as we walked through the mansion. I've now seen Monticello in winter and summer, and we only have two seasons left to finish up an incredible view of the valley, but next time I want to spend more time walking about the grounds. And that will be when Annie is with me.

No comments: