My last German exchange was in 2001. It was the first time that I could not keep up with the fastest walkers in any group. Old sports injuries--in my opinion at the time--had finally taken their toll upon me. Two years later I made plans to return to Stuttgart, something I looked forward to doing, because I loved the exchanges I did in Southern Germany; however, I felt ill at ease.I have always had a sixth sense about things, and with the Iraqi War just beginning, I felt uneasy about being in Germany, especially given some things I saw in Stuttgart just prior to 9-11.
After thinking about the situation for a few weeks, I cancelled the trip. Ann scheduled a doctor appointment for me in June, and my doctor immediately diagnosed my damaged hip. Surgery was in early July. By the beginning of August, an oncologist diagnosed my cancer. I recognize now that I probably suffered from the effects of my leukemia for months prior to my surgery, and I also realize how fortunate I am for not taking that trip. I can see that in the picture.
Someone took this picture just a few days before the surgery. I have Tommy asleep in my arms. And I still find comfort in my three little ones: Jack, Tommy and Anna.




No comments:
Post a Comment