A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rudi tut gut! (Rudi does well!)

One great thing about Christmas is hearing grandkids sing Christmas songs that get them excited about the presents they look forward to open. Anyone who does not understand the excitement that a child feels either forgot or did not have the experience of having family who loved Christmas. My dad was one who loved Christmas.

I will always assume that his parents felt the same way about it. The only thing my grandmother told me about my dad is the fact that he always found his Christmas. Watching my dad smile when Grandma Liza told that leads me to believe that finding presents before the fact was as much fun as opening the gift on Christmas morning.

And I am not in a position to criticize my dad, because I did the same thing. In one case, I actually put decals on the toys and played with them before Christmas. That is why I know that the "quest" is as fun as the actual gift itself.

One gift that my parents gave me was a little record player with a stack of 45's, ranging from nursery rhymes to Christmas songs. I wish I still had some of those records. It would be fun to put them on a CD for my grandchildren.

Jack had preschool during the time when we took these video clips, and a part of their classroom activities was singing. As Christmas approached, Jack would sing Rudolph the Rednosed Reindeer every day on the way home in the car. Working like I did to make a living prevented me from enjoying my own children like this. Ann was with them, but I never had the chance to enjoy moments like this. And it is a moment like this in four clips that I will never forget.

Each grandchild provides me with moments like this--their singing, their giggling, their drawing, and their teasing. Everything about them is a magical moment that you can never relive.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Jack is such a ham. He's definitely a performer. I can't get my kids to sing like that, let alone to a camera. What a cutie.