You spend months planning the moment when you arrive on the scene. And as suddenly as the day finally arrives to get there, it's time to come home.
On one trip to Minnesota, Tommy and Anna argued over who would stand in one spot in front of a large picture window to see Grannie Annie, Pop Pop and Jack arrive in the VW Jetta.
It turned out like I remember growing up. Some cereal boxes offered metal spoons for a time. There were two different ones, and my sister and I fought over who had the "new spoon."
I was devious. If I had my favorite, I would taunt my sister, until she cried. My mother would give her the other one, but I would remind her just how much better mine was. In a moment of frustration, my mom would take it from my hand, wash it, and hand it to my sister. I would get the other one.
After five minutes, I would restart the competition by telling my sister how much better my new one was. The crying would begin again. It's a wonder that humans don't eat their young at times like this.
However, karma is enough. And my experience with karma was my oldest son Cles. He mirrored everything with his sisters that I did to torment mine. I now see it as living proof that God has a sense of humor just like mine. I'm sure he smiled every time the sound of one of my daughters crying made my face red and caused the blood vessels in my throat to appear.
When Lydia told me about Tommy and Anna arguing over who stood at what certain spot in front of a large picture window, I smiled. I knew what was happening there.
My memory, however, also lets me remember the dinosaurs and prehistoric mammals that Tommy organized along that window.
Then there was the other visit, when Ann and I decided not to let Tommy and Anna know when we arrived. Lydia was shopping and had both little ones with her, so we arrived at the store in Minnesota and carefully walked about looking for them. Suddenly we appeared, and it was fun to see Anna jump up and down and run toward grandma with alternating hops and strides.
Tommy was a bit older, but he ran to us too. That's what makes the visits fun.
What makes it difficult is leaving. Ann was in Minnesota from February 10 until February 20. And like traveling so quickly through space, my Annie said her visit went quickly too.
The last day was hectic. Everyone went to breakfast. Anna couldn't remember the words for French Toast, so she ordered Roast Toast. The waitress knew what our feisty little one wanted, so it wasn't a problem. And besides, it makes for another great memory.
I missed being there, and Jack did too. For me, it's still difficult to keep in contact by phone. I can tell that Anna's on the phone, but I have to do the talking. I ask questions, and she answers in a soft voice always in the affirmative: "Yeaaaahhhh."
If something requires saying "no," there is only silence, and after 10 questions, she becomes tired of the problem, even if she's talking on her pink, tiny princess phone we bought her two Christmases ago.
Tommy, however, talks to me. He tells me about what he does at school, books he reads, and things he likes to do during playtime. After a long description, he has a response that is like saying "yup." But Tommy hums the word. "Ahem hum," he says.
It makes me smile to hear him. This day was both sad and happy for my Annie. It was difficult to leave family in Minnesota, but she also told me that she "froze her butt off." I reassured her by saying that I had had the same experience many times, but I also noticed that it just grows back instantly. At least it seems like that's how it works for me.
I was curious how things were going in Minnesota on February 20. I hadn't heard anything. They finished breakfast, took these pictures, and my Annie checked in after watching the little family drive away from the airport.
I was on facebook, and suddenly my Annie talked to me online. The smaller airport had computer access, so it was great to know everything was working out well.
Jack and I picked up Grannie Annie at close to 10:00 p.m., and the first thing we learned was that it was colder in Idaho than in Minnesota that day. I was not surprised.
I look forward to a day when I have palm trees in my yard, and in the back, I want a lemon tree, a lime tree and at least one grapefruit tree too.




2 comments:
Very cute pictures and post, Dad. I still laugh when I think of Mom and me driving to Walmart, and I looked over to see Mom shivering. I asked her if she was cold, and she replied, "Lydia, I've been freezing my butt off since I got off the airplane." I forget that it's a different kind of cold here.
I can't imagine how bad it is. I spent two years freezing in Germany, yet there was seldom any ice on puddles during the winter. We were far enough north to get the humidity from the North Sea. August summers were horrific too, but I will never forget the winters.
But Minnesota is something else entirely. You have the humidity and the severe sub zero stuff. Who said hell is necessarily hot?
Post a Comment