A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Monday, October 6, 2008

Best Buds

From the time Jack and Tommy were little, they laughed and played together. And sometimes they fought. It was like they were brothers more than cousins. On our first trip to Disneyland in late May of 2004, it appeared occasionally that they enjoyed playing "boo" in the hotel room curtains as much as they liked the rides. They would do it for as long as we let them. It was a fun vacation. I can't think of a better way of Ann and I celebrating our wedding anniversary. I just noticed the date on the picture at the right.

Both boys always like churros too. It has become a tradition in a way, and there are not many days that we don't get one for the grand kids, either here near Haunted Mansion, near the tidal water display in California Adventure Park or near The Matterhorn.

Most trips found us talking to someone who thought the boys were twins.
The first trip in May of 2004 was fun in so many different ways. It was the last trip I did to the park without using an electric cart the entire time. The first phase of the battle with leukemia left me at least able to walk during the day, even though I walked slowly toward the end of the day.

But the next year changed all of that. I could not return to work, and a cart was the only way to enjoy the vibes of Disneyland with grandchildren. I am just glad to continue doing it as often as I can.
When the boys were just little, I remember my mother laughing about something I told her about the following situation: the boys were communicating in grunts and squawks, but they communicated with each other and after only a few days together, I could see them coordinating their acts of mischief as they crawled about the house getting into things and climbing into drawers and cabinets.

And after the Disneyland trip in February of '08 when we picked up Lydia and the two little ones at LAX, Jack's attitude about Anna changed. Before he tolerated her, and then we met them after they exited the plane and came to pick up their bags, Anna looked at Jack and said, "Hi Jackie!" Jack was embarrassed at first, and he didn't know what to think. But since seeing her do that, he looks out for her. Whenever we go into a toy store, he reminds us to buy Anna something too. And when he sees an advertisement on television that shows a doll or something else Anna would like, he reminds us then too.
When we last visited Tommy and Anna, all three--Jack, Tommy and Anna--ran around the house swinging light sabers and pretending they were fighting Sith warriors. They are now all three best buds.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

Well, I'm not sure what's going on with me because I actually choked up over this post. It is interesting that Tommy and Jack were close from the very beginning. I remember visiting every other month while you were sick, and I think the one thing that kept us smiling was the cute things the boys did together. I remember the grunting and squawking communication. They've been two peas in a pod since the crawling days. Great pictures, dad. I love that Jack's looking out for Anna. Anna adores Jack. I can't wait to get the kids together again at Disneyland.