A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Interesting Signs In D.C.

I figure that this office must be very small. I really do not see any accountability for politicians. Democrats take a hit occasionally, yet there has not been an impeachment that took someone out of office since Andrew Johnson and the 1800's. At least I don't know of any specific situations. Society, at least in Idaho, generally "absolves" those in The Grand Old Party on a regular basis.

George Hansen was a politician, whom people still wanted to vote for in Idaho, even after his crime and his stay in the "crowbar hotel" denied him the right to vote. Ex cons lose some rights, although many Americans don't think enough about their government to do it anyway. Rush Limbaugh, in spite of all his talk, did not vote for some time. I'm sure he has a reason to justify it, but personally, I find it disgusting that a person like Limbaugh can have so many negative comments without having voted for so long.

I guess it is so difficult for me to watch people help Larry Craig get into the Idaho Hall of Fame after that tap dancing thing Craig did in the Minneapolis airport restroom while trying to get an afternoon date in the men's room. The worst part was his flashing a small card, that identified him as a senator, at the undercover officer who caught him. I guess Larry Craig thought that romance in a restroom was like playing Monopoly. He had his Get Out Of Jail Free card in hand, so everything would be alright. I figure the Government Accountability Office must be very small with a large backlog of business.

In a school district where I worked, the superintendent stood up and warned teachers of jeopardizing their careers with moral turpitude. Within one hour of that speech during initial meetings with teachers before the first day of school, a district supervisor propositioned an Idaho Falls undercover cop in a restroom near the falls. The district fired the employee immediately. I wonder why citizens can't do that with political leaders like Larry Craig. The worst part of his problem was his thinking that he was "above the law" and not subject to the same rules as other people. The fact that he is still in office means he was right about thinking that he was "above the law." I hope no one ever nominates me for the Idaho Hall of Fame. I have, after all, tried to live a life of honesty and integrity. I wouldn't want a nomination like that to damage my credibility.



This last sign should be a new paradigm in our culture. Instead of putting people with confused ethics and morals into some Hall of Fame, they should install a new philosophy: Park Not, Lest Ye Be Towed . . . Away. Wouldn't that be a great way to look at things, no separate rules for politicians, professional athletes, celebrities or high society. You break the rule, they tow you away. I find the concept interesting.

No comments: