A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Tights, A Reason Some People Refuse To Participate In Wrestling

This is not a great scan of a picture, but it shows me in my wrestling uniform in late 1969. I was a starting offensive guard earlier in the year, and at this point, I lost a considerable amount of weight to wrestle at 155. My playing weight in football had been around 175. Doctors would not have allowed us to lose wieght like that now.

A few weeks ago, I had a chance to talk to my old football and wrestling coach, who now lives in near Lake Tahoe.

When he called me Jonie, I "teared up." No one outside my family had called me that for years, but that is what he always called me when I played for him. He was an incredible coach, who only stayed in Malad for one year.

He was not only an incredible coach, but he was an excellent teacher too, something you don't find in education very often at any level--middle school, high school or college. He was a positive force in the lives of his players.

No comments: