One day I made an effort to talk to him and get some advice. "Never teach where you live," he said. "And if you decide to teach in Malad, make sure you establish yourself somewhere else first. It would be important to work at least four or five years and then go there if you really felt that is what you want to do."
I did not listen to him.
My classroom was at the bottom, it was in the basement of the building. In this picture, it appears they removed the windows and replaced them with coverings that prevented people from entering the building. I always found that to be the ultimate paradox about young people. All day at school they look for reasons not to be in school or in class, and then they try to break in at night.
I taught in my old German teacher's room, something that made me so proud, and I met her once and was able to talk about how happy it made me to think I could work in her classroom, but the advice I did not take was something that made a difference in my career. I hated my first three years. Being a teacher in Malad meant being subjected to eggs being thrown at your house every Halloween. After my third year, Ann and I had a fireplace built on a wall in our house. We were so proud of it. The loan we signed was a lot of money for us, and on Halloween, three young men tossed two or three dozen eggs down the chimney. For two years, I could smell egg every time it rained. I hated teaching in that town. And sadly, it was the one where I felt such a strong connection. I grew up there. My Annie grew up there, and our children grew up there too.
I never looked to make things difficult for anyone, but I did not allow anyone to make things difficult for me either. There are some things that make me proud of what I did as a teacher besides the honors and accolades I achieved: first, when I left Malad some people, including teachers and the superintendent asked me to rethink my decision, second, the administrator who purposely made things difficult for me felt the effects of karma. A few years later my dad told me that he had it from a very good source that that man's lack of ethics in how he treated me cost him the superintendency. Third, when my cancer forced me to retire, two administrators from my district north of Idaho Falls visited me in my home. At the time, my doctor told me I had two weeks to two months to live. One begged me to return, because he wanted me to teach his son. The other told me that he always respected me because I told him and others exactly what I thought, whenever they needed my input. "If we didn't want to hear the truth, we shouldn't have asked you the question," he said. And two principals visited me and asked me to return too--one when I was very sick, and a second one came to my home a year later, hoping I could return to work. It feels good to be appreciated. When I was sick, students called me on the phone and visited me at home. For a long time, I saw former students where ever I went in the Idaho Falls area, and they told me what a difference I made in their lives. I have been away five years now, and the students are now doing what they do as adults in many different cities and states. Once in a while, I regret not studying law, because my professors at the university wanted me to do that. Memories of my students telling me how I helped them lets me know how lucky I am to have been a teacher.




1 comment:
It's like the last 11 years since high school haven't existed -- I hear you speaking the words you are writing and it is so typically you. But you know what? To risk being mushy (or is it mooshy?): you were a great teacher at that little "district north of Idaho Falls", and I don't remember anyone in your class giving anyone a difficult time (except, of course, maybe you to me! Ha ha ha). I'm glad you felt the appreciation from everyone, 'cause it was definitely deserved. I, for one, am glad you didn't stay in Malad for your entire career.
Post a Comment