A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Snow Is Only Fun When You Are Young

Germans have a word for snow: Scheißweiß. Germans make compound words easily by joining any two nouns together creatively. Most Americans I have known in my life, find the last part of that word offensive; however, it is important to realize that the Germanic elements of the English language were vulgar to Normans after William the Conqueror arrived. And by the way, some Britons viewed him, just like I viewed supervisors during my years as a teacher: they called him William the Bastard. I guess life is all semantics, and it's also about the fact that truth is sometimes relative. My three grandchildren I love also love snow. It is fun for them to play in it. Sleigh riding is an adventure, and even shoveling a walk like Jack does here is a reason to get outside for a moment and feel the fresh air and listen to snow crunch under your feet.

No comments: