
Grandma gave us some classical music LP's one year that I loved. She taught me to appreciate the music of Stephen Douglas and other composers from America's nineteenth century. And most importantly, she not only did music programs that exposed me and other young people to Christmas music, but she also had learn some songs from World War I that we performed for the American Legion War Mothers. I will never forget that, and I will always wish that I could get a copy of the text she used. The music was beautiful, and the people were appreciative and even emotional about our performance. This was probably the thing that awakened me to my interest in music, both in terms of performing and listening.
She was a grandmother who loved music, and her way of loving me was trying to instill that same thing in me too. Everything worked, except of course for the whole Lawrence Welk thing.




1 comment:
Jeff and I watched SNL the other night, and he had no idea who Lawrence Welk was. I only knew who he was because of your stories like this. Even though we weren't familiar with the whole LW thing, we laughed hysterically over this clip.
Post a Comment