A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Monday, October 11, 2010

Carter Mountain Orchard Apple Festival


I'm not sure, but I don't think my grandchildren had ever been to an orchard, and the visit on this beautiful day in Virginia had to be something fun for them.

We arrived early in two cars, and luckily, there was only a short occasional wait, as we drove the narrow drive up the hill and watched for a parking spot.

My family let me out at the entrance, and I followed my nose to this spot that sold freshly made apple spice doughnuts. They were gone before I arrived. I picked up peach and apple salsa, bottles of both apple and five pepper jellies. Before they found me, I found fresh apple cider--warm and cold. Now it wasn't like the stuff my friend made with a handful of raisins and some secret alterations. But we had to let that sit outside for two or three weeks, before we could drink it.

I found a bottle of peach cider as well.

Cles and Lydia found me. By then, I found newly baked doughnuts they put on the shelf. There was a scramble, but as awkward as I am, I seem to move quickly when it comes to doughnuts. I guess it's like putting cheese in a maze for a rat.

As soon as I emerged out the door, just behind me, I noticed Cles already bought a dozen. But my sizable contribution came in handy. We polished all but six. And they still tasted incredible the next day.

Did I mention that little Sammy liked them too. I was so excited that I sat and teased her, making her laugh and dance. It's a disadvantage being a grandparent sometimes, because you forget why you don't do that just after they drink a bottle of formula.
I drew the attention of everyone. "Oh, shit," I said. I held little Sammy far in front of me, but she still projectile "yacked" all over my shirt. Luckily, it was a moment I had my mouth shut. Old guys do that you know. They sit or even walk about showing the inside of their oral cavity. I don't know why. Maybe it's an attempt to get more oxygen, or a way of concentrating on balance--mental and physical. Anyway, at least I had my mouth shut and glasses in place at the time.
People laughed. One man my age looked at me with a grin and moistened eyes. "Oh, doesn't a moment like that bring back memories grandpa?"

I was too focused on avoiding the stream of white stuff to feel offended at someone calling me grandpa. At least no one called me "hon."

The day with everyone was just another example of the fun we had in Virginia.

No comments: