A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Universal Truths Learned At The State Fair

Just when I thought I knew so much about semantics, I learned some things while at the Idaho State fair. First, Americans are brave. Only in the home of the brave would people weighing over 300 pounds wear bare mid rift clothing, and this decision seemed to involve their own personal choice of fashion.

Secondly, I learned not to feel so badly about being large like I am because of the effects of chemo and the pharmaceuticals I used even before my cancer. At close to 56, I saw larger people half my age. And these examples were eating turkey legs, scones, corn on the cob, fried candy bars and large burgers and corn dogs. I was so happy about the revelation, that I began looking for fried Twinkies.

And last, I learned a new euphemism. Walking is great exercise for me, because although my legs hurt while I am doing it, I can tell the next day that it is a good thing. However, while I do my thing about the park, people walk in front of me.

"Sorry," they would say looking up at me with these puppy-dog eyes. As soon as I saw a teenager with a chip on his shoulder and tattered Rock 'N Roll T-shirt of a band I did not recognize, do the same thing, I immediately drew a connection. Because a minute earlier, another teen wearing the latest Led Zeppelin wore the same demeanor on his face, and he walked in front of me too. I guess sorry is a new way of saying "Get the hell out of the way." But what is so nice about this new euphemism is that you can stay positive while using it. You must need to whine while you utter the simple two syllables.

No comments: