A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Three Reasons For Living In A Western State

On the way home we saw the most beautiful sunset, with colors or yellow, orange, and purple. It was a beautiful sight during a drive that was fantastic, whether looking at the cornfields of Minnesota, the Black Hills of South Dakota, or the small rivers and rolling hills of Montana.
There is just nothing like it in the evening. I guess I learned to watch a sunset so carefully when I drove a tractor on the farm. It was a chance to see the beauty outside. There was always a feeling of satisfaction in knowing that a day's worth of hard work had benefits, and none of those had anything to do with money. My father taught me character, hard work, honesty. Taking pride in a job well-done was an expectation that my father never had to tell me about when he asked me to do something. It was something that every job required.
Only in early evening or in the hours before dawn does the day become completely quiet, yet there is the sound of crickets and the soft caress of a night wind. Occasionally, the yelp of a coyote breaks the stillness. And I will never forget the stars that seemed so shine so brightly in a sky untainted by smoke or smog.

No comments: