A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Zero, The Killer Bee

Ann found this Killer Bee outfit on amazon.com, and since Zero approaches the day of his Puppy Kindergarten graduation, she couldn't resist getting this for him.

He liked it, or at least he liked the black foam rubber circular orbs. He liked the wings too, but he kept getting at those too easily, so we had to remove them for the picture.

He is quick for a pup, so as we laughed and marveled how cute the dog was in this outfit, our little guy took issue with that.

Maybe he was just tired, but he began doing what he does, when he's hungry or tired or victimized by gas.

But I remember this rugby shirt I tried for size in the Ralph Lauren store in Jackson, back in those years when they actually had an outlet store there.
"How does this look on me?" I knew to ask was a risk as soon as I watched Ann sport a silly grin. It spread across her face. Her brown eyes twinkled in delight. "You look like a giant bumble bee." 

Two women laughed out loud.  They performed the same thankless duty Ann did at that moment. Waiting for their husbands to come out of dressing rooms. They had two choices: either to be brutally honest or just to have fun with it.

Ann occasionally has a way of doing both at the same time. That's what happened that day. 

"You look a giant bumble bee." I still remember those words, and to be honest, they make me laugh right now too.
One woman tried to look the other way. Even with her fancy hairdo, I could see the glee that probably danced on her face. 

The other man's wife laughed out loud.

Jack's "family" pup wears that same uncomfortable grin in the photograph above, except I didn't have the Bambi eye thing going for me. But if it hadn't been a case of store customers thinking I had totally lost my mind, I probably would have bitten my sweetheart at that moment, not hard but just simple and effective enough to let her know I didn't want to be a bumble bee--especially a "giant" one.

So here I sit, understanding the heart and mind of a dog, sitting innocently while being the butt of a joke, and at the same time, tormented by three adults and an "almost" nine-year-old Third Grader, but the pictures were classic.
The outfit was the ultimate in puppy cuteness. He looks like a semi-giant bumble bee.

No comments: