A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Funny Pictures From My I-Photo Gallery

This was a monumental day for our family, and after the practice at the church for the wedding of Cles and Leslie, Tommy and Pop Pop return to the car dejected. For Tommy it was horrific--even if walking with Jack--to walk down an aisle with a small box with a ring in it.

He cried. People laughed. Tommy hated it.

People laughed, because the boys were so cute in tiny black tuxedos with black high tops.

Pop Pop was heart-broken for a different reason. There just aren't enough Krispy Kreme shops, not even in the South.

But you have to love the black Converse high tops.

One thing I remember about that day was that it was full of firsts: I learned never to call grits and shrimp a name like Canjun Cream of Wheat; I learned that fried green tomatoes was not just a movie, and besides, they taste fantastic; I learned that Augusta has great vibes and friendly people.

Cles learned never to give hockey sticks to young nephews for gifts at the rehearsal dinner.

Now the next picture is a classic. It's an example of my sweetheart's sense of humor. She couldn't wait to get off the donkey in front of me at Santorini.

It explains the uncomfortable look on my face.

Thank goodness that facebook was not even a thought in anyone's mind at this point, let alone considering a situation of placing the picture on the internet.

At this point in time, I no longer have enough pride in how I look to let it bother me. That's why I shop at Walmart. I fit in well there.

Besides, it was enough for the guy leading the donkey to keep guessing my weight on the way to the top of the hill: "150 kilo? 200 kilo?"

I didn't give him the satisfaction. I just smiled. He should have been proud of the fact that Greek cuisine agreed with me so well. I don't have a history of agreeing with many people, with the exception of my beautiful soul mate.

Next, you have to understand how badly my wife hates roller coaster rides.

She was a sport to go with me on this one, probably one of the best, or worst, depending on your perspective or Ann's perspective.

I took her on California Screamin' at Disneyland. At the start, Ann started screaming, enough to shatter glass windows in the hotels in the area.

It continued without end through the second loop. Suddenly she fell silent.

Panic took over. I softly tough her face. "Are you OK?" I asked. My voice was tender, consoling, worried.
"I hate you. I hate you. I hate you." She said the words quickly and gripped the bar in front of me. It became yet another moment I will never forget. I don't let her forget either. It's one of the things about her that makes me smile.

I wish I had the actual picture of the Mickey Mouse hats we purchased on one trip.

Mine read Pop Pop. A nice Hispanic worker didn't hesitate to start to do the hat, but the anal-retentive future old maid in charge, who was only about 22, refused to consider it.

"It has to be a name someone calls you." She gave me this official look.

Suddenly Jack appeared with Kristin, just returning from Autopia.

"Hi Pop Pop." The nice Hispanic gal began working on the hat. The other one shrugged her shoulders.

Then it was Ann's turn. "What should I put on it?" Ann looked at me for a minute.

"Granny Annie," I said without hesitating. Another woman in line laughed out loud and looked at Ann. I guess some women resent being called a grandma. But they don't know my Annie, the best Grandma in the world.

She had it put on the hat and occasionally calls herself that.

By the way, did I mention she is my best friend in the whole world too? I can't feature a world, where I couldn't tease her, and she wasn't teasing me occasionally too.

No comments: