A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Pictures of Jack--School Photographs and Professional Moments In Ririe

We found a professional photographer in Ririe when Jack was still quite young. The moments there that fall were incredible, and she found some great poses to put into a book and give us some incredible memories.

The price tag was a bit expensive, but we figured it was well worth the trouble and the money to get a glimpse at a brief moment in time.

I love the way joy shines in the eyes of all my grandchildren. Jack was no exception.

When he was tiny, I called him Happy Jack, which was a reference to a 60's song by a favorite English blues band. In those years of Jack's life, they often ran a commercial on TV with a little boy racing a pinewood car. The child takes a shortcut and wins the race. 

Jack loved it. I liked the song. And I loved the way he was always so happy.

For the pictures outside, Jack wore this hooded sweatshirt we found for him during one of our Disney trips. Some people just don't get the whole Disney thing. They haven't seen little ones, just able to walk, run frantically to characters and hug them. Jack did that each time he saw any of the personalities from Toy Story. 

And then there were the school pictures. I love the ones very early in his experience, where he let his mom or grandma or Pop dress him for school. 

It doesn't take long for a child to voice outrage at having to wear a polo shirt on "picture day."

Adults prefer it. They love the picture, but children are cruel on the playground, and I figure from Jack's response, that he sometimes took "heat" for allowing adults to tell him what to wear.

From the second grade onward, polo shirts were not an option. Tommy was the same way.

But we do have those early pictures, where Jack and Tommy wore things we found in Old Navy or some other yuppie place for clothing.

Funny thing is my son Cles was the same way. He refused to wear a polo shirt, until he was almost 34 or 35.
 It was an innocent time. Jack told jokes.

"What does a banana peel say when you step on it?" His eyes would dance, and even before you could answer, he would tell the punchline. "Nothing silly. Bananas can't talk."
Jack's jokes were always interesting, mostly from those taffy candies with the "cheesy jokes," but I really don't mind. I just hope he never tires of being the kind of kid I see in these pictures.
But things change. No one ever stays the same. But there is a hope I have that my grandchildren will always make wise choices.
One thing for sure is that we did this compromise. He puts the Star Wars T-shirts away on picture day, and he chooses a jersey to wear. I like that, and I try to give my grandsons viable options.

Often their preference reflects my own favorite players as in these school pictures from last year.
One thing is certain, regardless what shirt my grandchildren wear, they make instant memories.

1 comment:

Cles said...

Great pictures!