I guess losing your lucky charms leaves dogs with issues.
He started that last week immediately after the operation. Zero sat up on the large leather arm chair next to me, where he had rested mournfully for about two hours. When he wasn't snoring, he would look at me with these "Bambi" eyes.
Guilt seized me at times. His eyes screamed, "How could you let them do this to me?" But my heart had a response:
It's because you kept peeing occasionally in the house, obviously thinking you were someday going to be the 3612 Creekside Alpha Male.
Now this dog hopefully will teach me something. Kristin stays up with him. Ann does too, especially on nights when Kristin has papers due the next day or when there is a test. Days like that happen often at ISU. Kristin takes care of things on weekends to give Ann a break, and sometimes during the week, when Ann obviously needs sleep, she does it again.
The fact of the matter is that we've spoiled this pup, who now is growing toward maturity. You can't really cradle him in your arms any more. He isn't a little pork chop, unless of course you think of the stack of ribs that Fred Flintstone gets at the Neanderthal drive-in restaurant in the 60's cartoon show.
The Yabba Dabba Dooooo! moment for me is seeing how much Ann loves this dog.
"Come on little boy," she said. I startled awake for a moment. "Let's take you outside to . . ."
But then I realized Ann was talking to the dog. I sighed a long breath of relief. I never make it a habit to disappoint my sweetheart.
But all joking aside, I figure this dog can teach me something. It's an example how a new dog can teach an old one new tricks.
For example, Ann and I have been married for almost 40 years, and during the darkest, coldest nights, there is not a time when I could put my face next to her like this pup does with Kristin.
It's not like I haven't, but Ann startles awake. In the darkness I hear her gentle voice, "Bad Breath!"
So yes, I want to know how this dog manages this whole thing.
This dog has been tiring, but he is a loving companion, who looks for each of us every day. He prances, wags the stubby tail and even does this weird "goose step" thing--all the while shaking his booty and turning his head back and forth.
Zero is another example of something that makes life so much fun, even when it makes you tired.




No comments:
Post a Comment