A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Monday, May 10, 2010

Jack and My Mom's Cookies

Jack met his Grandma Carolyn early. This was not the first visit, but it was one where he enjoyed being held by my mom. We began making stops when he was very young, and he was only a bit older than one here. This is about six weeks before we took our first trip to Disneyland--one of the most magical trips of my life. It was one with both my little grandsons, and it was a time when we stayed very inexpensively in a very expensive Disney Hotel: the one at the edge of California Adventure Park. It's the same lodging that looks so much like the lodge at Old Faithful.

When Jack was just a bit older and could talk, I would whisper to tell grandma to make some cookies. She had given him some fresh ones at one visit, so it wasn't a difficult thing for him to do. But I only had to do that once. After that, he asked each time.

This past weekend, Jack and I drove to Malad to see my mom before Mother's Day, and while there, we sat in the kitchen and talked while Jack watched television. He came into the kitchen.

"Pop Pop. I think I can smell cookies." He wrinkled his nose and smelled, but there weren't any fresh cookies. A couple of flat, metal baking sheets lay on the cabinet in one spot, but there was nothing there.

"Shhhh." I gave Jack the look, and told him to watch TV. He made his request softly, and I hoped my mom didn't notice. Jack did that three times in the next 50 minutes while we sat in the kitchen. Mom's back was to him, so I hoped that she didn't notice. For me, I don't want my little ones coaxing for something like that.

There were a lot of things to do that day, and several hours later, when we returned to my mom's house, she walked to her fridge and freezer, as soon as she heard me say we were on our way home. Mom pulled out a large bag of cookies she had in the freezer.

Jack smiled. His eyes sparkled with contentment. It was a "grandma moment" for Jack, a time to be pampered and spoiled with something he will always remember. It's what grandmas do.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I swear Grandma's cookies are a little taste of heaven. I've tried for ten years to imitate her applesauce, oatmeal, and chocolate drop cookies, and I haven't come close to her amazing touch.

That is such a cute picture of Jack and Grandma. He really was a ham as a baby.