Every fall our band director Mr. Castleton would have us begin marching to prepare for the Homecoming Parade, The Eastern Idaho Blackfoot Fair and some parade in Logan, Utah. Our teacher was a perfectionist, he wanted straight lines, he demanded everyone be on the same foot at the same time--the old left foot, right foot, left foot drill--and most importantly, he expected what we played not to make people feel confused. Some high school bands seem better suited to a "name that tune" activity without time limits.In the fall it was often very cold. Homecoming was usually in October, and since Early Morning Band Class began every day at 7:45 a.m., it was sometimes so cold that you almost thought your fingers would freeze to the instrument. This picture was in the fall of my senior year. I was wearing my David Crosby-Woodstock jacket with the ten inch fringe. I still love that coat. It hangs in my closet still, and if I ever lose 100 pounds and cut both arms off, I just know it will fit.
Marching would begin again in early summer, when he prepared us to participate in The Days of '47 Parade in Salt Lake City on the 24th of July. That was the most difficult one. Temperatures were rarely under 95 degrees, and we marched from Temple Square to Liberty Park.
That might not seem like a considerable distance. I think it is now. But if you imagine walking it with a baritone saxophone around your neck, you understand why it was not an easy stroll to the park.
The best part of that day was the time we spent at Lagoon--Utah's premier amusement park. Each year after the the parade we all had free passes. It was fun being there with friends and classmates, fellow music nerds.
During the year we also prepared for Music Contest at district, regional and state competitions. During my freshman year of high school, I played in the saxophone quartet which earned the highest ratings at every level.Practice was only part of the secret.
That wise old Mr. Castleton had methods in his madness. Paul Willie--a fantastic alto player--played alto; I played baritone; Elsie Hubbard, a true virtuoso, played tenor and Margaret Evans played second alto. The incredible move was having Margaret play.
Elsie would have practiced for hours longer, just because she loved music.
Paul and I loved music too, but Margaret was not only a high school cheerleader, but she also cheered on the squad at Stanford University. She came in short cutoffs every day. I will not spend a great deal of time with semantics here, but the word "short" can never be truly understood by anyone who has not seen Margaret in a pair of those Jeans. Helen of Troy launched 1000 ships. Margaret could have done that and more.
Paul and I loved practicing. After hours of dedication, I soon realized I had mastered the skill of multi-tasking. I could stare at Margaret's magnificence and read the notes of my part at the same time.
The picture at the left shows just how arrogant I was my senior year. In addition to my hippy jacket I mentioned earlier, I had these incredible fringed mocassins. It was difficult posing for a picture and being so cool at the same time, but I have Margaret to thank for that-- she helped me learn how to muti-task.




No comments:
Post a Comment