Now I'm nine minutes too late to count this for January 22, 2012, but my good intentions made an effort to do that. January 22 is a special day for two reasons: first, my granddaughter celebrated her birthday earlier today, and actually in Reno, it's still January 22; and second, I began my mission on this day 40 years ago.The number 40 in that last comment makes me feel really old. In fact, I remember my youngest daughter giving me one of those weird little troll dolls with silver hair. The caption on its small T-shirt read this: Forty isn't old if you're a tree.
Somehow the "fun" gift seems to have been much funnier in 1992, a time when I was so much younger.
If Jack and Tommy and Anna and Sammy learn anything from their Pop Pop, I hope it's how to enjoy life during that magical time of youth and how to enjoy life during that incredible time of being "an old fart," when grandchildren make you smile with their eccentricities, with their passion, with their sparkling eyes.
So I hope my little Sammy had a great birthday today, and when you return to the North Country of the Snake, the Tetons and wacky politicians, I hope you'll remember this . . .
The doughnut of your choice is on Pop Pop, although a cupcake might taste nicely too. We can do that.
So Sammy, good night and I hope you enjoyed my call tonight. The wolf howl and German birthday song is my style. And by the way, I loved your growl at the end of the song. It tells me you remember Pop Pop and the fun we have when we visit you or when you come to us for a quick visit too.






No comments:
Post a Comment