A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Monday, December 12, 2011

Artists In The Family

It's easy to be proud of my grandchildren. They have so many interesting gifts: they do extremely well in school, excelling in reading and math and science. I liked to read and loved writing, but math and science .  .  .  Well, let's just say that there were no deluded thoughts I had of becoming a scientist.

In fact, my choice to study Geology and become a geological engineer was something that would never happen, because I couldn't do math.

My grandchildren won't live under limitations like that.

I love that kind of idea. And Anna won't have a math professor place her and any other female students in the back of the class, since women didn't need to do well in a class that didn't prepare them for baking cookies.

So much for growing up in the 60's, when things should have been different.

By the way, any math skills or science skills had to come from Ann. I not only hated math, but I disliked the teacher, who taught advanced math, chemistry and physics at my high school, even more than the passionate way I disregarded those subjects.

Tommy did a picture too, and it is incredible how creative both Tommy and Anna are.

Jack loves movies, and his pictures are a way of sketching a story he has in his mind. Since he was small, he would tell "Star Wars Stories." I may have encouraged it, because before every nap, I told him a story like that, making it up as I went along, and I also would tell a Disneyland story, about any trip we had taken to the park.

So now Jack creates story boards, thinking how he will develop a plot.

When we visited Disneyland, just after they reopened the Star Tours ride, the people working for George Lukas were there, and we ran into them. Jack entertained them with his ideas, and then he told the adults, that when he made his movie, he would hire them.

The adults were fascinated and told him how excited they would be to work with him.

My grandchildren amaze me. I brag about them. I wallow in their achievements, their hobbies.

It's what you do, when you are a Pop Pop.

No comments: