A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Monday, August 29, 2011

First Day of School

Jack was so excited to be in school today. I know, that given the look on his face, desire and excitement for learning are not a credible possibility; however, although he enjoyed everything about summer, he was not able to see friends every day: something he missed. Jack was in bed early last night. I was up before my alarm sounded this morning, making Cream of Wheat.

For one of the very few times I've done it, I lied to my grandson. I made it like I always did--milk, Cream of Wheat cereal, brown sugar and honey. Today he looks at me with these big baby blue eyes, piercing into my soul.

"Did you put honey in it, Pop Pop?"

Now came the ethical dilemma. If I tell him I did, there is not enough milk to make another batch. If I tell him I did, there is not the time to fix something else on the first day, without driving everyone into a frenzy.




"No, I said innocently. I fixed it just like I did last year. It has brown sugar in it to sweeten it, so you don't need sugar." The answer swept contentment across his face, but with the next taste came a look into my soul one more time.

It was not a complete lie. It was the way I made it last year for him every day during late December and January.

By the way, Jack has learned the initial lessons of sarcasm from Pop Pop. Just look at the smile below.
The shower was the next thing this morning. His clothes, the Ghostbuster T-shirt and shorts, were already set. He needed only underwear, the word you don't say in front of him, even if no one else is in the room. It's as if he is afraid that someone can hear me say the words. But maybe he's right.

That last Stones concert left me with buzzing and ringing for three days before everything simmered done to a ringing sound. Ann always complain that I talk loudly. Actually, I don't think she likes me talking at all, but maybe she and Jack are right about it. I do rock the house, whenever I watch a Blu-Ray. The Bose system is incredible. You have to feel it to enjoy it.

It's not that I'm hedonistic or anything. I just like feeling my chair shake when explosions hit the screen, and given the weight of me sitting in the chair, I must admit, the TV must be a bit loud. It sounds OK to me.

But in TV viewing, as in all almost all things, truth is relative.

Hopefully, I don't fit the form of a stereotype, which some accept as absolute truth: old dude with vision, hearing and mobility problems. Well, I do still drive without glasses occasionally, but I always enjoyed living on the edge.

I had a dental appointment this morning with a new office: one that doesn't begin to salivate, when they hear my diesel engine shut off in their parking lot. Ann had to take me there by 8:30 a.m. Jack's bus was to arrive about the same time. We're hurrying this morning.

Can we schedule just one more thing? OK, I have a great idea, let's take the VW Bug to the mechanic. Ann remembered she didn't want it to look too dirty. It was just going to the mechanic to have the A/C checked. But grandma chose to clean off the bugs. I mean, really. It is called a Bug. I keep my sarcasm to myself, but I see beauty in her eyes every time I see her, so I take her picture too.

I only took two pictures. My camera is a Nikon, and I didn't want to get water on it. I know it would have to come from a hose. I was standing at least ten feet away, but with the use of a finger or thumb, my Annie can work magic with a hose like that.

It has not been a great day. I missed Jack. Dental appointments never work into a great day. I feel guilt overindulging in Chinese food for lunch. And last but not least, the mechanic just told me that it will cost $1000 to repair the air conditioning. I'm glad it's September. I figure we won't have to worry about it within two weeks, and then we won't need it until late July of next year. We can wait for that repair. Besides, I think I'll shop around a bit for better services on the VW.

No comments: