A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Friday, June 24, 2011

Opening Of Rumbi, Yet Another Expensive Fast Food Restaurant

We go into this fast food place that just opened in Idaho Falls. A few students raved about the food here, so we thought we would give it a try.

It was a perfect evening. As it has been the entire month of June, the weather was wet and cold, but we were all excited. It was just a few days before Lydia, Tommy and Sammy would arrive at Salt Lake City International from Florida.

I take my camera.

Now I hate it when someone takes my picture. But when it comes to my Annie, she always loved that kind of moment. That changed. Without a fish whacker, she will not pose.

Annie puts her hand over her face or in front of the camera or pulls a face. It's impossible to get a good picture of her. But I began trying.

The first time she moved and shut her eyes. Jack laughed hysterically after I did the whole Donald Duck temper thing.
The second picture worked, but it was a miracle, because Jack blinked on purpose after I took it. My eyes are not able to check the small screen to see if the snapshot worked, so I continue.

For the third one, Jack smiles, until I take the shot. Then he stops smiling. He laughs. Grandma laughs.

Pop Pop doesn't see the humor in it at the time, but the picture shows Jack's blue eyes, so it worked out best.

Meanwhile I try the next pose, thinking that eventually I will find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It's a Celtic thing. OK. I know it's an Irish deal, and we're mostly Welsh with some English thrown into the mix, and even a little Viking stuff too, so I guess I'll only refer to it as a figurative expression, since I'm not Irish. And I'm too big to be a leprechaun.

I snap the picture.

Jack pulls a face. Annie and Kristin laugh. I didn't see the humor in it the first time. Jack is now enjoying the moment. He's thinking of every time I teased him, calling him Pooky Bear or Whaskewy Wabbit or whatever. Those blue eyes of his dance in the joy of the moment.

 So I tried again. Grandma blinked. By this time, I'm almost at my wit's end. But I try again anyway.
I should have shouted out for joy, but no one cries out like that--except occasionally during a moment of rapture at a Waffle House. Maybe that was Pop Pop, because I loved the waffles there, sprinkled with a thick layer of pecans and served with warm maple syrup.

The meal was expensive. The food was mediocre at best. But the photographic moments were fun memories to remember for years, as long as it doesn't take me seven shots to get a good picture of two people I love so much.

2 comments:

kiddle97 said...

Oh, I'm sad to hear you found the food mediocre. What did you have? If you say the sweet potato fries, I'll understand; those are too soggy and frankly, I've never had a good sweet potato fry anywhere. But I do love their rice bowls. I'm getting hungry thinking about it now, and upset that we don't have one anywhere near us.

Jon Ward said...

The visit was not a good one. The sauces were all very poor, most with too much vinegar or too much pepper, and the food was mediocre at best. Just the day before, we ate at a restaurant that served incredible food. The price was a fraction of what we paid at Rumbi. I predict they will not be in business long in IF. It's in a bad spot in Ammon--the same place where three or four places found little success. One was a Mexican place that has two or three other places in Idaho Falls. We have a disadvantage in IF. There are no ethnic places that offer good food. Most are just these large franchise places like Olive Garden. Pocatello on the other hand has some places we really like: a Greek restaurant, A Thai place, and an incredible Mexican restaurant. Poky also has an Indian/Pakistani place, but Ann doesn't like that type of food. She finds it too spicy, and often without warning. And the other things have this overpowering sweetness or perfumed taste. I like it occasionally, but I'm not going to complain. I love Greek places, because they know how to do lamb. My wife hates it, although she once made me lamb stew. She is a good sport. It's great hearing from you. Blogs like mine are like watching someone's home movies. Thanks for the comments.