A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Sweetie


Before my oncologist determined that I had leukemia AML, we had several years of travel that Ann and I did together.

On one of those trips, we had the chance to go to Nauvoo to see the temple there before its dedication. It was an incredible trip, especially given the fact that Ann and I both had relatives there at that difficult time for members of our church.

We were on a bus.

The first morning, the tour guide asked every couple or family to have one person introduce their group of participants. Ann made a mistake, that few usually make.

"You do it." She looked at me for a moment, and seemed shocked that I didn't offer any resistance at all. I moved toward the front of the bus.

"My name is Jon Ward, and my wife's name is Ann. She's that beautiful woman in the back in the green bluse and tan slacks." Ann's face turned a bit crimson. She rolled those brown eyes of hers, and every woman on the bus sighed and looked at her.

Annie doesn't like to be noticed like that, but I meant what I said.

Thirty-seven years sounds like a long time, but it really isn't. It went by so quickly.

Being my age is recognizing how foolish I was not to savor every moment, every day, every year. That kind of wisdom only arrives when you have become old, when you realize how you have blessed, when you realize what means so much to you in your life.

It's about realizing that having a soulmate is what makes life worth living.

No comments: