For Jack and me, it was not a difficult decision, when Ann asked me if I would mind riding with her to Driggs, where she has a current assignment.
The resort in Victor, where we stayed, was interesting. The mountains were beautiful. The air was clear. Morning meant hearing birdsong and feeling the warm sun on your face. It was a beautiful day.
The place was also near the mountains. At night, stars were clear--something I have not seen in decades. Without glasses, I could see the Big and Little Dipper. The night sky brought back memories of my youth on our family ranch.
There was also this huge, outdoor swimming pool. I took Jack. It was impossible to get him out. I thought one hour would work. We stayed in the water over three hours, and finally I talked him into going to get grandma.
Within hours, Jack began seeing the effects of sitting in an outdoor pool without sunscreen.
The next day, I look at Jack briefly. "Next time, you'll get out when I say it's time to get out of the sun, won't you?"
It didn't take even a second for a response. I could tell it hurt Jack to wear a shirt against the reddened skin on his back.
In spite of sunburn, the day was perfect. We ate breakfast the day before at this place advertised as Irish, but I failed to see any kind of connection. Jack, however, loved the food.
The weeder, which was a piece of farm equipment I saw often on our ranch, was in pristine condition.
There were no signs of its having encountered huge lava rocks under the upper layer of soil in any field. The weeder rod was straight. All parts, although coated with rust, were in excellent shape.
The day ended with a visit to a cocoa shop near Broulim's. The sandwiches were fantastic, but the hot chocolate was impossible to describe in words.
Jack loved the weekend, and I enjoyed it too--not just because we took great pictures and found fantastic restaurants, but because we were spending additional time with Grandma.
Besides, it is spring. It is only weeks away from the last day of school, and Jack is pretty much looking forward to summer vacation.
He had an incredible year in school, and we had an incredible weekend in a beautiful place.




No comments:
Post a Comment