No one on television ever told me how bleak life could be at sixty.
I would not have listened, because I preferred
sounds of summer breezes
when they tossed
curtains softly and made them
billow specter-like amid murky dreams
and because I preferred the sounds
of spring breezes when they
carried songs
laden with musk--trills and chirps
of songbirds, scents
of flowers and trees.
and because I preferred the sounds
of fall breezes
when crispness fell from trees
dancing amid blue skies to light
upon piles of yellow and red and gold
tones that speak of the stains of life and age
and because I preferred the sounds
of winter breezes too, although
my youth's eyes cast aside the metaphor.
Death walks beside us all. Stealth does not prevent
anyone from seeing its crippled gait
anyone from seeing its crippled gait
amid frigid wastelands. Life is silent here.
It breathes with a death rattle.
Old people hear it whisper to them: "I'm gonna git you dude."
Youth ignores the warning, because
they don't listen to messages for old people, who smell like soap
who smell like stale air
who move in slow paces at the mall
or drive Winnebagos on crowded highways.
or drive Winnebagos on crowded highways.
No one ever told me life could be bleak.
But now I am old. I smell like old people. I shut my eyes and tilt my face
heavenward. Thoughts of spring
still remain clear
in spite of life spinning earthward: the ultimate
in spite of life spinning earthward: the ultimate
ebb and flow. Times like this make me hope for summer
and every time I hold
the velvet softness of my sweetheart and sense
her caress of hand
her touch of lips. It all
brings me peace. Laughter in her eyes
carries me to a place
without care
without sadness: a spot where I think
of devotion, of love, of meaning. I wrap myself tightly in thoughts
like these. I savor loving moments. I revel
and slosh about those memories
like a child
discovering images of clouds in a shallow pond.
Past and present pass so quickly, like
chevrons of honkers flying toward better places. Hope is like
chevrons of honkers flying toward better places. Hope is like
a sunrise surrounded by red and orange light.
The colorful hues etch and brush stains
on clouds. I never see them the same way twice.
No one on television ever told me how a woman could love like they do.
But youth never recognizes omens that fill skies. They never see
a sparkle in chocolate brown eyes
teasing and nurturing and loving. They never see how love
grows
in spite of age, in spite of pain, in spite of sickness.
Clouds speak of winter storms ahead. I ignore
icy wind that drives
icy wind that drives
snow and ice. Reality shouts at me--howling at a slice of moon
amid starlight. I hear
the whisper: "Life is bleak, life is hard, life is cruel."
the whisper: "Life is bleak, life is hard, life is cruel."
My shout against the wind is for my ears only. I defy age
that haunts me daily. I will not wallow in fear
or waste time with tears.
or waste time with tears.
Life wanes and fades.
I celebrate every step in the dance
Life as a merry andrew. But even a fool has wisdom.
Let age paint my face
Let age paint my face
accordingly. Hope transforms me.
I am a ship upon the rolling waves of a violent sea. My soulmate is at my side
with each pitch and roll. I bask in her devotion, that silences gales.
It grasp a rose without thorns.
There is pleasure in age, when you join hands with someone you love.




No comments:
Post a Comment