A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Friday, February 18, 2011

My Sweetie's Birthday Begins For Me Today.

My Annie's birthday is tomorrow, so the ritual will go like this today. She is now in Driggs doing some work to help the school system there.


It's a great job. It's fulfilling and satisfying. There are no supervisors to make things miserable. Working for ISU has been a true pleasure for her. I found it that way too.


Oh, and it's nice to see her so happy doing something like this.


I expect her home any minute, so I'm hurrying with the last minute details of this blog. I found a perfect card--funny but not crude, cynical but not pessimistic, interesting but not boring. I like the Far Side stuff. Our family finds this brand of birthday card hilariously funny. So here it is.


I've been working on her "this year's poem" for several weeks now. I put some things together, and then I let it sit for a bit. I felt inspired this morning.


I set my player downstairs. The volume is loud, but not disturbing to my neighbors. I figure Robert Plant is something great for a time, when I my hopes for spring are so intense.


Besides, the vibes are great too for my muse. So Annie, here's your online peek at your poem:



A Slice of Joy Is A Window Into A Soul


Bob Dylan sang Mona Lisa smiled

because

she had The Highway Blues. Looking at a woman’s face

is like looking into depths of the sea. You never know

what lurks there

what boils beneath rolling waves

what changes lie

beneath a surface reflecting blue skies and clouds.


Science believes

they know Da Vinci’s secret--facts about

the painter’s task. But they

will never understand

the look

the power Mona Lisa retains in her eyes.


I figure I married a woman like that, except I like mine

better than

Da Vinci’s woman hidden behind finger-smudged glass

in the Louvre.


Some days I look at her eyes and try to read omens in summer skies

but nothing conjures satisfaction for me

except the look she gives me

any given morning--eyes shining and teasing

a sparkle that tells me

what I need to know.


Why stand and wonder before life’s jigsaw puzzle?


If God wanted life and relationships to be simple

each woman would be

like a fortune cookie

a slip of paper stuck in her ear at ambiguous times.


But nothing appears as it seems

and innocence is an illusion that offers no solace on a winter night.


No infant I observed understood Bob’s blues

or understood

what The Highway Blues

might be: an asphalt python trail that leads

from East to West

from North to South.

Some might contend that a tiny child’s smile might imply

wisdom or understanding

but my wife always said

grinning babies had gas. I never found

happiness

in that bit of trivia, especially while cradling them in my arms.


Who knows why they really smile?


I owned a big yellow tomcat, and although I preferred dogs, I loved him

anyway. I trained him

and he begged. I trained him

and he would sit

on yellow haunches

before looking up at me. A smile

would spread on his feline face

and he would turn his large head from side to side.


I gripped prime roast beef in my hand. He

never gave up the idea

of charming his way through life. He would spring

to bat the beef with paws of recessed claws.


I hoped he did it out of love

out of respect

but those concepts never appeared on his face

as his eyes focused on roasted beef

yet he never scratched or bit me. His grins

infected every audience

who watched with a Cheshire mirror image.


The cat’s new-found love

was for a taste

of the same species of creature

that provided mammalian nectar in his bowl.


Who knows why he really smiled? Maybe he understood irony.


I married a woman with chocolate chip eyes

of mystery

yet she gazes my way

and I realize

that I wrapped my heart

around those orbs decades ago.


It was a time of youth, a time of new love, a time of yearning.

I still love her, even more deeply now as so long ago.


Her face lights up like new dawn in early spring. It tells me

what I need. Doubts fade away

mists disappear before rays of morning sun.

I embrace her eyes and wallow in their beauty.

I know my love. She will never live The Highway Blues

even if she likes to hear Bob Dylan sing it.

I bask

in the velvet softness I see on her face

and I yearn

to feel the static electricity of her touch.


I hear her image whisper to my muse. My love

I wear openly. I flaunt memories

of holding her in my arms. I sing songs of love

in my heart. A vision I see

in those chocolate brown eyes that bewitched me long ago.

They cast

their spell on me as a youth.

Their message remains constant. My love is my Polaris, my guide

because she remains at my side during my brightest day

and the darkest night.


I cherish

each moment and savor the taste of life

because

I know my love will always be at my side.


This is my favorite current picture of my Sweetie, although there are other favorites as well. There are some of those she doesn't like at all, so no one will see them, but I smile right now thinking of those pictures of our past and present,

and for her, I won't put on any pictures of us riding roller coasters or clowning in front of a camera, or standing motionless in distant childhood black and white poses.

But I will place a final picture that someone took during our 2001 class reunion.

It was a good time--a time in our life when cancer was a disease someone else struggled with, a time in our life when our biggest concern was about work and teaching and parking the new car away from the potential scratches of other people's cars. It was a time in our life much like right now.

Nothing that really matters has changed in our times together since that summer day in 2001, so I post the last photograph and smile at the memories it conjures up for me.


No comments: