
I always found the South a great place during the winter. When Cles graduated from UNC Chapel Hill, I flew out for December graduation, and we walked to the ceremony in shirtsleeves. Even at night, the temperatures were warm.
Cles and Leslie drove me to Charlottesville while I was there that year in December, and the weather was the same. It was sunset, and we still walked to the car without coats.
This year, the winter of 2010/2011, was an exception to what I experienced a number of years ago.
I'm not sure, but I think Lydia took this picture of Jeff and the kids while visiting St. Augustine a while ago.
Even in the year when we went to The Bahamas, before our children married and before grandchildren, Christmas in Florida was incredible.
Cles and I walked to the hot tub at the beginning of that trip, about 100 yards from our room. We went dressed in swim trunks, sandals and short-sleeved shirts, and we didn't stay in for very long. The water was too hot for the outside temperature. It was like a summer night. I loved our time in Orlando that year on Christmas Eve, yet after we returned from our cruise, the days there were unusually cold that year.
I just remember wearing coats like Jeff and the kids have on here in this picture. In fact, that year in Orlando found me being chilled all day. I wore a sweat shirt, much like what Tommy wears in this picture.
But the weather, in spite of the odd cold snaps during both winters, was much better than here in Idaho today. It felt warm outside, while Ann and I were running errands this past afternoon. The temperature was actually higher that 35 degrees for a while. I saw some ice melting, but maybe it was just my wishful thinking.




No comments:
Post a Comment