A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bambinos

Thursday was a great day. Angenette Pickett Call, a friend I taught in German at Rigby High, notified me that her brother was having a Grand Opening for their new fast food place year University Place in Idaho Falls.

Ann was in Driggs doing some contract work for the State Department of Ed., and Jack was in school. The whole thing began at 11:00 a.m., so I made a visit.

It was fun to see my old student, although realizing these one-time students are now adults with their own children, who are are either in school or about to be in school is intimidating, yet I have a couple of former students who are now grandparents. That more than anything else is a wake-up call. I am now officially an old fart.

The Grand Opening was fun. When I told Ann about it several days before, she was disappointed not to see Angenette and not to see the new business. We made a second trip in the afternoon.

Jack was with us. So what's the verdict with Jack on a Bambino at Pickett's Bambino? We tried several different ones, but Jack liked the cheese and cherry ones the best, and he was upset until we cooked him one the next morning for breakfast. He was grouchy Friday morning after the previous two days of festivities.

Thursday had been a busy day, the day after Jack's birthday. We made this visit and did several other things, including going to a movie: Percy Jackson and The Lightening Thief. My little "bambino" Jack loved the film, but getting ready for school Friday morning came early, and the fact that there was something special that day at school didn't help things either, even if they served doughnuts. Jack was upset to think that it was 7:00 a.m. already and time to go to school.

Like I mentioned, Jack was grouchy, and in fact, Jack was impossible. But the Cheese Bambino, we bought in a box of many other frozen ones, worked magic. After initial thawing, we heated it like Angenette told us to do.

Our little "bambino," who now loves Pickett's Bambinos, was happy, attended school, and when he returned home that afternoon, he went to playing with his Legos.

The only mistake was when he chose to take a nap. Nap is a bad word with Jack. A few years ago, I even used suspended animation once as a ploy, until he figured that it was worse than a nap. It was Pop Pop's way of tricking Jack into taking a nap. There was no suspended animation with machines and interplanetary travel. It was just a matter of listening to Pop Pop tell a story long enough so that slumber would take over. It didn't take long for Jack to figure that one. But Friday after school found Jack exhausted.

"I'm just resting my eyes," Jack said. Ann and I began watching the Olympics, and suddenly at 8:30 p.m., we noticed that he was still sleeping. We were able to get him awake.

But his eyes were rested until very early Saturday morning. But it has been a great week.

1 comment:

S and RA Beazer said...

Can you believe I live just around the corner from the Rigby Bambino store, and just across the parents of the owner and have eaten there maybe a hof dozen times. Sadly we don't eat out nearly often enough.