This picture shows what has become a family tradition. The Dutch deli in Salt Lake City carries many of the things I crave for the holidays--Marzipan, Lebkuchen, Spekulatius, Prinzenrolle, Weihnachtsstollen. And that's not a complete list. We often spend $200 easily getting some of those things that I miss, and Ann likes most of them as much as I do, with the exception of Stollen. Raisin bread is not on the top of her list, but I seriously crave this treat that predates Christianity.
The Dutch deli always has Santa tradition, but it's the same every year, and we love being there for it. I always have to call for the exact date, but they usually do this the second Saturday after Thanksgiving.
My only complaint about Christmas is the fact that it happens so quickly, and like other years, it came and went without my being able to enjoy every Christmas movie I like, without listening to enough Christmas music, without being able to savor every moment. But it was still a wonderful time, and nothing is like the magic of watching grandchildren open gifts on Christmas morning.
You always rush to get everything ready to take pictures, and then things come to mind that you wanted to do. I thought it would be fun to have Christmas music playing while gifts were opening, and I wanted to have the trains going too, but it happened too quickly.
And then as quickly as you could imagine, the excitement was over. Only the paper and an occasional bow remained, but it was still fun. And it was a great Christmas. Jack and Kristin spent time with us. Jeff, Lydia, Tommy and Anna braved the Minnesota winter and called a bit later. Tommy and Anna had fun opening their gifts too. It was a Wii day in Minnesota, and Tommy and Anna were ecstatic, although Anna liked her dolls a bit better.
But next year we'll have another granddaughter to spoil, and hopefully, we'll be able to see them open gifts too. It was a great Christmas.




No comments:
Post a Comment