A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Friday, July 30, 2010

Further Adventures Of Flat Tommy in Early Spring


My Annie downloaded her camera a few days ago, and suddenly we discovered these last precious gems.

Jack loves the VW New Beetle, not only because it's cool--especially with Grandma driving--but it's also got this whole sunroof thing.

The first time he noticed the chance to do this was driving through that famous tree, while visiting the redwoods in Northern California.

But this day was special. Any day in a car with any one of my grandchildren and my Sweetie is special.

I knew, however, that I had officially become an "old fart," when I looked at this picture. It's not enough that I'm crippled like I am, but I can't seem to appear in a picture without my mouth gaping open like this.

I wonder if Marley, the partner of scrooge, could loan me that large fabric napkin, so I could drape it around my head and tie my mouth shut. My hat might be a bit snug, but at least I wouldn't look like a weird-o, or at least as big a weird-o.

And did I already mention how excited Jack was to travel with us to Arco for my Annie to do some work she needed to do there in schools. Jack and I partook of a
snack at one of the local restaurants.
And then we, if I remember correctly, traveled to the German restaurant and had some great food from the Germans in Howe, who now own their place again. It's now officially a place with exceptional German food again.

Without a doubt, it's more than worth the trip. The only thing that bothers me are the locals who come in and order a burger without looking at the menu.

It's like the ethnic food irritates them. It's that whole weird feeling about "feriners." I omitted the interesting euphemisms that usually precede the word.

The Goulasche Suppe, which is typical Hungarian dish, is the best I've had since being in the states, and it was better than some I had in Germany, except of course at that one place in Düsseldorf. That bowl was a bit spicy, like it should be, and it was incredible too.

My guess is the Germans at Howe have to please the American palate. That is the sad part about ethnic restaurants, especially German places. The soup, however, was still fantastic, even if it wasn't as spicy as I wanted it to be.

No comments: