This picture of Tommy jumping into the pool during swimming lessons is incredible. It was something that we did in our youth as well, but that was mostly for young people living "in town."The closest thing to a pool on our ranch was a temporary large reservoir of water that a road construction company created on our neighbor's place, and after my cousin tried to get me to go swimming there, my father made sure I was with him during the day. It was kind of the beginning of my becoming a ranch hand.

We had a large family "dry farm" operation. And the term "dry farm" means that there was no irrigation. Conserving moisture by keeping weeds in control was how we were able to run the farm successfully, something my family has done on this ranch since the 20's.
Hard work helped them survive The Great Depression.
To make a long story short, there was no swimming anywhere close. Soon I was 16 years old, and I did not know how to swim, and since I needed the skill to get my Eagle Scout badge, my dad had me become a "town kid" one summer for the short stint during June swimming lessons. I began with five-year-olds, doing the jellyfish float, but I eventually learned what I needed to get my Swimming and Lifesaving Merit Badges. It was also fun to be with friends during the summer too, even if it was just a short time.
So given that information, you have to understand how proud I am to see grandchildren doing things I couldn't do until I was in high school.




No comments:
Post a Comment