A Glance At Our Life And Times Together: Jonie & Annie's Patchwork Quilt

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Oh, To Be A Princess!

On the first day of entering the park, it was funny to see Anna. Like a moth attracted to light, Anna found a window with scenes of Disney Princesses. Lydia had already told her that she was not to ask grandma for any more princess dresses. There was the one that grandma bought during our last trip, and than the chest of three or four grandma and Pop Pop found in a store in Pocatello and sent immediately, so that Anna could wear them before the trip.

As soon as Anna was alone with us, she looked at grandma.

"Grandma, I want a princess dress." We laughed, because it was so cute. And it is so fun to spoil grandchildren.


When I was young, I remember watching Charlton Heston in epic movies--Ben Hur, The Ten Commandments, El Cid. Then came the NRA and his tenure as president of that organization. One of the things I remember him saying, as he held a black powder rifle above his head, was that the government would have to pry his dead fingers away from it to get it. It is not one of my favorite quotes, and that is not why I am writing it now, because personally, I am not really thrilled about the NRA or about that media event either, but when I saw this next picture, I thought about the actor who once was Moses.



Prying tiny fingers, formed into rigid fists, would have been the only way to get Anna's new princess dress off that night. She loved it, and grandma loved buying it, although she looked somewhat sheepish at Lydia at the first moment when mom spotted Anna strutting her stuff in a white princess dress with long gloves.

Every child deserves a doting grandparent, and every grandparent deserves a moment to do to grandchildren what they saw parents do to their own children. It's not a bad thing. We just do it because we love them.

No comments: