I guess I thought I was cool when they took this picture. With my hippy shirt and shoes to match, it was a picture I admired, until I recognized some things when you get old.Cool doesn't matter when you snore, whether falling asleep sitting in a chair or lying on a couch.
Cool doesn't matter when new hair grows in your ears and not on your head.
Cool doesn't matter when you discover that "old people smell" is you and not the other person in front of you in a line at the cashier at the grocery store.
And suddenly when you look down wishing noone--including you--will notice you, your eyes catch a glimpse of the houseslippers you are wearing, not because you forgot to change them, but because your shoes aren't comfortable.
And suddenly when you look down wishing noone--including you--will notice you, your eyes catch a glimpse of the houseslippers you are wearing, not because you forgot to change them, but because your shoes aren't comfortable.Cool doesn't "cut it" anymore when you are old.
At the right, in the photograph taken during our trip to Canada, is another "cool" view of me in my pimp glasses.
I now recognize what my dad must have thought several times a day, inserting the instep of his Red Wing size 10 1/2 right swinging, leather-laced boot firmly and swiftly against the back pockets of my jeans.




2 comments:
But you are cool!
Sorry, dad, but Mom's right. Anyone who listens to the bands listed to the left of this post will always be cool.
Post a Comment