A bad dream roused me out of sleep twice: once at 3:15 a.m. and a second time two hours later. By then, I couldn't go back to sleep.I embraced the addictive screen of facebook and began working on a farm with an Irish Castle, Stonehenge, ski lodge surrounded by redwood trees and an Italian villa. You would think that something like that would take care of things.
It took me at least thirty minutes to realize just how the dream horrified me.
The dream found me at the front of a classroom, doing a presentation. The equipment failed to work, and even before that happened, I remember approaching the situation unprepared.
That's something that I never allowed to happen, so that is worth at least a higher pulse rate.
When the brief Powerpoint failed, I gave up and stood briefly before taking a seat. I just gave up. That's something else I would never do. There would have been a backup plan, although I had one situation where not only did the emergency backup plan fail, but two or three other things did too.
That seminar I did, where the equipment was less than ideal, also had a second disadvantage. The group in the room never showed signs of life, except of course for one individual during lunch, and that was a lactose intolerant person, who probably didn't notice the cheese in a sandwich. I noticed how the sleep in his eyes swept away like the tide, just after an enormous growl echoed across the room. He ran toward porcelain relief.
But this dream was truly a nightmare. You have to be a school teacher to have something like this disturb you.
My other nightmare, which occurs occasionally, is when I dream that I enrolled in a graduate level course and forgot to attend or drop the class. When I was in graduate school, I did research and read books a semester in advance. I would go to the professor and get a syllabus for the class at least a semester early, which gave me a decisive advantage.
I would never have been in this situation either.
But thank goodness for something that successfully drove the bad vibes from my thoughts.




1 comment:
Mr. Ward,
I knew you prior to Powerpoint and it was fine! You were always able to keep us going with your vast knowledge and your stories! Does that fit in the catagory of "Dazzling with brilliance or baffling with bull#$%^"? I still have a few journal entries from your class that other people wrote for me! It is fun to read them and see how "things were"....
Post a Comment