While in Rochester, we found this Dutch place, so I had to go there. I lived in Oberhausen for about five months in the early 70's. A friend gave me some wooden shoes, which Germans in the area used to work in their muddy gardens. The shoes are great. And much of the food I remember eating there had a bit of a Dutch twist to it, especially the Pfannekuchen, which we often ate in the evenings, and I still make it when I have apples and some great jam. It's a must when grand kids are here.
But the Dutch place in Rochester was interesting. The stuffed cabbage was very good, and it was very much like what we made for ourselves and sometimes ate when invited to some one's house during those times. But the place is just a franchise. My disappointment came when I asked if any of them were from Holland. Most of Minnesota is Scandinavian, so it was not surprising to hear that the two older people at the register were a mixture of Viking blood from Norway, Denmark and Sweden. There was even a bit of German in the mix, but none of them knew anyone in their families, who spoke a foreign language. Their families had been in America since the 1800's: so much for my thinking that some people from Holland opened a restaurant there.
I guess I'll just have to rely on the Dutch Deli in Salt Lake City to get my chocolate sprinkles, cabbage roles, curry ketchup and a few other things, but if you are ever in Rochester, you have to order the dutch pancake just to hear the people bring it to your table.




No comments:
Post a Comment